[Insight-users] Build ITK 3.14.0 under Win XP x64 and Visual Studio 2008

Charl Botha c.p.botha at tudelft.nl
Mon Aug 3 04:07:57 EDT 2009

Dear all,

2009/7/31 Charl Botha <c.p.botha at tudelft.nl>:
> 2009/6/17 Thomas Hack <hack at bonn.edu>:
>> I am trying to build ITK 3.14.0 with cmake 2.6 patch 4 and Visual Studio
>> 2008 under Windows XP x64. Unfortunately the x64 build (VS2008 Win64) makes
>> some problems. I will add the build log under this message. I am facing two
>> different errors. The first is that a generated executable can't get
>>
>> and the second one is that the conpiler doesn't like some uses of void
>>
>> ("10>D:\libs\ITK\x64\InsightToolkit-3.14.0\Utilities\vxl\core\vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h(16)
>> : error C2182: 'type' : illegal use of type 'void'
>
> How did you manage to solve this problem?

In a quite embarrassing turn of events, a complete uninstall of Visual
Studio 2008 (MS has a nice tool to do this all in one shot) followed
by a reinstall, based on advice from Thomas Hack, reminded me that I
had forgotten to install service pack 1 the previous time.  As far as
I can see, that turned out to be the problem.  This has bitten me
before on VS 2005 at which time I did make a note of it, hence the
embarrassment. :)

So, if you run into this problem, first make sure you have SP1 (or the
latest SP at the time) installed.  If that still doesn't help, a
complete uninstall and re-installation is recommended.

Thanks to both John Drescher and Thomas Hack for their input!

Regards,
Charl