[Insight-users] HAMMER registration method (Patented ?)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 22 12:49:07 EDT 2008

Neija, Don,

Before you use the HAMMER method,

You may want to take a look at the following Patent application:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=9eOUAAAAEBAJ&dq=Method+and+apparatus+for+4-dimensional+image+warping

Application number: 10/912,965
Publication number: US 2005/0031210 A1
Filing date: Aug 5, 2004

Inventors:

    * Dinggang Shen,
    * Christos Davatzikos

Abstract
A method of atlas mapping and an apparatus for image mapping are
provided. The method includes generating a four dimensional template,
linearly transforming the four dimensional representation of a subject
to the four dimensional template, generating attribute vectors for a
plurality of points of the linearly transformed four dimensional
representation of the subject and of the four dimensional template, the
plurality of points consisting of a plurality of temporally successive
voxels of the four dimensional representation of the subject and of the
four dimensional template, evaluating the generated attribute vectors to
identify points in the four dimensional template that correspond to the
four dimensional representation of the subject, and deforming the four
dimensional template to the four dimensional representation of the
subject according to relative positions of the corresponding points of
the linearly transformed four dimensional representation of the subject
and of the...

Full Abstract at:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=9eOUAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=Method+and+apparatus+for+4-dimensional+image+warping

Please keep in mind that use in Academic Research is not excluded
from the restrictions of Patent "Protection".

For more details on the "usefulness" of the Patent system for promoting
the Progress of Science and the Useful Arts, you may want to read the book:

"Patent Failure"
http://www.researchoninnovation.org/dopatentswork/

"How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put Innovators at Risk"
  by James Bessen and Michael J. Meurer

Princeton University Press
March 2008