[Insight-users] why Mattes MI is multithreaded but Normalized MI is not?

pinpress sb_ji at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 13:19:55 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have built my ITK 3.10 by setting

         ITK_USE_REVIEW
         ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS

both to "ON" in CMake to take advantage of multithreading. I was very happy
to find out that MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric image metric
utilizes multi-cores automatically without even the need that I modify my
code.  However, NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric does
not take multithreading!  Any ideas why the latter is not multithreaded?  I
was able to find public member functions SetNumberOfThreads() in both image
metrics.

By the way, this forum does not seem to be very responsive at all -- I can
see so many threads with literally zero reply. I wonder if this can be
improved.  I have been personally rather active in other technical forums
(e.g., Mathworks) both asking questions and answering others questions. I
think that's a very good experience there so far because many people there
do the same. But I have to say that I am disappointed that this forum is not
the case.  I also hope that ITK become more powerful, robust, and versatile
over the years, and more and more people will start to use it with more
experience. I think this is the essence for the better good of open source
software. But this would be difficult if without the help from more
experienced users. Just my 2 cents.