[Insight-users] Problem reading specific dicom files (bug?)

Florian Pierron F.Pierron at exeter.ac.uk
Mon May 12 06:37:33 EDT 2008

Dear ITK team,

I have some problems reading specific dicom files with ITK 3.4. The
files were too big to be sent as an attachment, so they are available in
a zip format through the following link:

http://workspace.office.live.com/?id=qACRhYjgzOTE5OC1mNWZkLTQ2ZDctYWE4Ny04YjdhOGFjNjk1ZGIAe6Ot2CwEEsZEkYzeYgi32vt9e2HUvUXvrmlGoLxAl4TOLEZ9ABhmLnBpZXJyb25Ac2ltcGxld2FyZS5jb20A

The zip file contains a screenshot of what is expected (using XMedCon
and DicomWorks) and a screenshot of what I get with ITK 3.4. There is 2
different series that can't be read. One of them (the one I called
'ReadingByte') has been posted to the GDCM developers 3 years ago and I
am pretty sure they fixed it already. So my question is more how do we
know which version of GDCM is present in ITK 3.4. Is there a file I can
read to get this information (or a function such as GetGDCMVersion). Is
there a new version of GDCM in ITK 3.6? (if someone could try if the
files are loaded successfully on the newest ITK version, that would be
great). The second set, I get a completely black image.

I have another question about GDCMSeriesFileNames. When calling
SetDirectoy () it can take some time to compute. Does this function only
read the header of the dicom file or does it have to read the whole file
to get the information needed? Is it possible to get the progress
events? It doesn't seem to work for me so I was wondering if it was
implemented. Last question, I was wondering if implementing a
multi-threading version of this function will help and if so, a quick
guide line on how to do it (with itkMultithreader?) will be appreciated.
Is the access to disk a serial process? If so, multithreading won't
help, or am I wrong?

Finally, I would like to thank the ITK community for developing such a
great library, thank you guys! (I don't say that to increase my chances
of having an answer ;-) )

Regards,
Florian