[Insight-users] ITK Image Registration

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Wed Jun 18 11:19:55 EDT 2008

Hi Shoosh,

The best thing would be to read the paper that comes with the
submission. Theoretically, the diffeomorphic demons algorithm does
preserve the topology. Diffeomorphic mostly means invertible in this
setting. The algorithm looks for a deformation field whose Jacobian is
positive at each point. In practice though, in some hard cases,
numerical errors may lead to some small negative Jacobians.

If you need more control than invertibility (e.g. Jacobian > 0.1) then
you will need another algorithm.

Also my algorithm uses deformation fields defined at each pixel by an
independent vector. If you explicitly need B-Splines then you will
need another algorithm. (Note that the interpolation used with
deformation fields implicitly uses B-Splines, e.g. linear
interpolation is a spline of order 1).

The diffeomorphic demons code also works with a multi-resolution
approach but is not a multi-resolution B-spline basis.

Best regards,
Tom