[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Neuner Markus neuner.markus at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 12:10:02 EST 2008

Hi,

I would sggest an approch that is called:  "Bounding Sphere"
and is commonly used in graphics to calculate bounding spheres that are
independent of object rotations.

Several methods exist to compute a bounding spere and some good examples
of how to compute and implement this is outlined in the book "Real-Time
Collision Detection" from Christer Ericson.

One good method is to use the direction of maximum spread from a PCA
(primary component analysis) of all "contour points".
Then you pick points farhest away along this direction (1st
eigenvector). This is done by projection (Dot-Product) of the points
onto the direction vector and you increase the diameter of a shpere
until all points are inside.

I dont know if PCA is implemented in ITK to compute the
covariancematrix, eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a point set.

Regards, Markus

Andriy Fedorov wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Somer, Edward <edward.somer at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Having segmented the tumour I'd try a 3D-distance transform to find the
>> interior pixel furthest from any edge of the mask. Isn't the maximum
>> diameter then twice the value of the distance transform at this point?
>>

> This will not work, unfortunately. Here's a counterexample.
>
> Imagine I-like shape of some thickness in 2d. Then the maximum
> distance from distance transform will be half the thickness of the
> shape. However, the diameter will be equal to the *length* of this
> shape. So in this case you are getting non-maximum diameter with the
> approach you suggest.
>

>> Perhaps I'm missing something,
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> Andriy Fedorov wrote:
>>
>>> Luis,
>>>
>>> I am actually looking for an automatic tool.
>>>
>>> The approach I am currently considering is this:
>>>
>>> 1) go through the axial slices, find the one with the largest area
>>> 2) extract that slice contour