[Insight-users] Kd-tree implementation in ITK is buggy and unreliable

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:15:43 EDT 2008

Kevin,

As you know, testing algorithms like nearest neighbour search on some specific datasets do not provide the sufficient condition for the health of the code. At the moment, I cannot think of a more general solution than this trial-error approach.

The bug I mentioned seems to be different to the one reported. In the attached point-sets p1 and p2, if you try to find out the nearest neighbours of each point in p1 in p2 by the implementation of kd-tree in ITK, one of them is assigned to a wrong neighbour. By visualising the result it is easy to spot the problem.

Hope this helps.

-Ali