[Insight-users] ManagedITK and COM

Dan Mueller dan.mueller at philips.com
Wed Apr 9 02:01:12 EDT 2008

Hi Carmen,

You seem to have a number of questions:

1. Do ManagedITK assemblies need to be distributed with my own C# code?
Yes. If you write C# code which references the ManagedITK assemblies, they
must be distributed with it. Assemblies are dynamically linked, not
statically linked, and must be found by the calling code at runtime.
Placing them in the same folder is one way to ensure your code finds the
assemblies. You can also add a probe path to your own application code, or
install ManagedITK in the GAC.

2. Is ManagedITK COM compatiable?
No. ManagedITK can not be directly called from COM. Managed assemblies
*can* be made to conform to a COM interface, but as yet I have had no need
to implement this for ManagedITK. You could alter the ManagedITK project
to do this for yourself (welcome to open source!), or more easily you
could write your own wrapper (using COM compliant C#) around the
ManagedITK operations you need (it sounds like you have already done this,
except for the COM part). The below links might help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manunmancode.asp

http://dsmyth.blogspot.com/2006/03/calling-managed-code-from-vba-using.html

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/ManagedCOM.aspx

3. Does ManagedITK work on Linux/Mono?
No. To the best of my knowledge ManagedITK can *not* be run on Linux/Mono.