[Insight-users] Issue with BinaryErodeImageFilter

Robert Tamburo robert.tamburo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:48:02 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the erosion filter on a 3D binary image. I'm using
the itkBinaryErodeImageFilter with an itkBinaryBallStructuringElement
in the same way that is demonstrated in the SoftwareGuide. The input
image has a total of 19 slices with the first and last slices being
blank (black, background). In the output image the first 2 and last 2
slices end up being blank... two slices of data are missing.
Moreover, an obviously corresponding slice no longer has the same index.

I tried a couple of things to try and understand what was happening.
First, I tried padding the image with additional blank slices. I
added 1, 2, and 3 additional slices and got the same results.  Then I
tried removing the blank slices. No blank slices were introduced.
However, the index problem is still an issue.  I've created a temp
web page with some screen captures to better illustrate the problem.
The URL is: http://www.tamburo.us/temp/erosion.htm

The results are confusing to me and not what I expected. Any
clarification on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Source
code and images can be made available if needed.

Regards,
Robert

P. S. I'm using a MacBook Pro with ITK version 3.2.0 and gcc 4.0.1.
P. P. S. The documentation in the header for the erosion filter is
incorrect in that it describes dilation.