[Insight-users] Dicom Series Read Series Write: change in intensity values

Matthias Schabel mschabel at ucair.med.utah.edu
Mon Nov 26 20:09:19 EST 2007

Mathieu,

>   That's correct MR also often -illegally- has a slope/intersept. So
> does CT and I guess Secondary Capture. But we handle all of them
> nicely when *reading* a DICOM file. The issue is that right now, we
> are not able to store that image -just read- back to file.

Thanks for your response. I guess my question could be turned
around : how should I format my output DICOM metadata to achieve,
correctly, my goal. That is, what do I need to do to get ITK to
output a DICOM file with rescale slope and rescale intercept
specified - change modality? The post-processed data is clearly not
PET data. Is there a special modality tag that indicates that the
data is post-processed?

>  To go into further details, PET for instance has a dynamic
> slope/intersept. This make not only very efficient for this type of
> data, but also completely necesseray since the scalar range is so wide
> and would prevent people from storing such images on 16bits as per
> DICOM definition. Which means that ITK should have a mechanism
> (callback?) which would allow GDCM to pass the new slope/intercept for
> each new 2D image when iterating over a 3D volume. So far I have not
> look into it too much.
>
> But in summary: reading 'floating' point is handled, writing it back
> is not unfortunately :(

This seems like strange behavior. What I would expect is that either
(in order of my preference)

1) rescaling would only happen if explicitly invoked
2) rescaling would happen invertibly when DICOM images are converted
to float and vice versa...

Since you can't correctly apply rescaling for integer conversions
without loss of precision, it seems like a bad choice for the default
behavior. As far as I understand it, since DICOM only supports 16 bit
integer precision, anyone using DICOM files to encode/decode float
data will need to know about rescaleSlope/rescaleIntercept... Those
entries in the metadata seem to me to be providing the additional
information necessary to do integer->float and float->integer
conversions.

Matthias