[Insight-users] itknetlib

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 23 15:20:25 EST 2007

Hi Lucas,

1)  Yes, "itknetlib"  is no longer part of ITK.

     This used to be a library in Utilities/vxl and used to
     provide the code from

           Insight/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib

     In the transition between ITK 2.8 and ITK 3.0,
     on July 25th 2006:

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/CMakeLists.txt?root=Insight&r1=1.11&r2=1.12

     the largest part of this library was renamed as:

                     "itkv3p_netlib"

     and only two programs were left in itknetlib:

                      triangle.c
                      triangle.h

3) When preparing the release of ITK 3.0, the team that packages
    ITK for Debian, pointed out a number of Copyright & Licensing
    deficiencies in the code that was distributed with ITK.

    In particular, the two files:

                 triangle.c and triangle.h

    have a license incompatible with the BSD license used by ITK.

    More specifically:

> /*  Copyright 1996                                                           */
> /*  Jonathan Richard Shewchuk                                                */
> /*  School of Computer Science                                               */
> /*  Carnegie Mellon University                                               */
> /*  5000 Forbes Avenue                                                       */
> /*  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213-3891                                     */
> /*  jrs at cs.cmu.edu
> .... Distribution of this code as    */
> /*    part of a commercial system is permissible ONLY BY DIRECT ARRANGEMENT  */
> /*    WITH THE AUTHOR.  (If you are not directly supplying this code to a    */
> /*    customer, and you are instead telling them how they can obtain it for  */
> /*    free, then you are not required to make any arrangement with me.)      */

     In order to avoid incurring in the criminal practice of Copyright
     Infringement we removed these two files from  the VXL version
     distributed with ITK on September 24th 2006:

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/README?root=Insight&r1=1.2&r2=1.3
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/Attic/triangle.README?rev=1.2&root=Insight&view=log
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/Attic/triangle.c?rev=1.9&root=Insight&view=log
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/Attic/triangle.h?rev=1.3&root=Insight&view=log

2) You *shouldn't ever* have had the need to explicitly add itknetlib
    to any CMakeLists.txt file, even when itknetlib was available
    in the system.

    itknetlib was included in the list of VXL_NUMERIC_LIBRARIES,
    which in turn is declared as a dependency of "itkvnl_inst",
    which in turn is declared as a dependency of "ITKCommon".

    In summary, by linking to ITKCommon, CMake should take care
    for you of linking with all the VXL libraries, including the
    (potentially present) itknetlib.

    In your old project you should be able to remove "itknetlib" from
    the CMakeLists.txt file that was using it.

    The same goes for your current project.

4) *PLEASE DO NOT* add itkv3p_netlib to your CMakeLists.txt file.

    You shouldn't even need to know that such library exist.
    In the same way that you shouldn't need to know about the
    MetaImage library, the jpeg library, the png, tiff, zlib,
    expat,openjpeg,nifti..... or any of the other libraries
    in Utilities.

    You should only need to link with ITK libraries, such
    as ITKCommon, ITKIO, ITKAlgorithms, ITKBasicFilters...etc.

    The mechanism for tracing library dependencies in CMake
    takes care of these annoying details, so you can concentrate
    in actually doing image processing and image analysis.

   Please let us know if you have any other questions,