[Insight-users] Re: question about the plane cutting of 3D surface mesh into contour

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon May 28 16:35:00 EDT 2007

Hi Lin,

The best way to get the contour that is the intersection of a plane
with a 3D mesh is to take the ITK Binary image, convert it to a VTK
image, then use the vtkContour filter and then the vtkCut filter
with an implicit plane.

For examples on how to convert ITK images into VTK images please
look at the following resources:

1) Tutorial:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

2) The Examples on InsightApplications:

     InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
         itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx
         itkReadITKImageSegmentShowVTK.cxx
         itkReadITKImageShowSplineVTK.cxx
         itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

3) and the Paper that Andinet Enquobahrie posted
    in the Insight Journal:

    http://insight-journal.org/dspace/handle/1926/495

    "Seamless VTK-ITK pipeline connection for image data handling"