[Insight-users] Registration with ITK and a MicroScribe Digitizer

Dirk Hollstein Dirk.Hollstein at hsu-hh.de
Tue Mar 27 01:04:54 EST 2007

Hello,

we want to register data acquired from a microscribe digitizer with
data from an stl-file (stereo-lithography). We collect data by
sampling surface points on a real world object with the digitizer.
The stl-file describes this real world object (a cuboid).

We did look at the examples for PointSetToImageRegistrationTest_1 and
ModelToImageRegistration2, still we have several problems we could
not solve:

- How can we extract the necessary PointSet data from the stl-file
for registration (assuming PointSet is the way to go)? Currently we
read the stl-file with VTK.

- How can we get this data into ITK for registration?

- Do we have to process the stl file before we are able to register
it, e.g. by applying a certain filter to it?

- Is there a way to read an STL-file directly into ITK?

Any help is appreciated, since we do not know how to proceed from here.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Dirk