[Insight-users] Exception Access Violation w/ java bindings

Blair Cruz blair.cruz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:02:38 EST 2007

Hello All,
I'm running ITK with the Java bindings to do some registration in a Java
application I'm developing.  I'm running into an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
when using the Java bindings.  Here is whats happening.

I create two itkImportImageFilterF3_Pointer objects for the fixedImage and
movingImage.  I populate these objects with the image data I need to
register.  I then create the code to do the registration and pass the
filters to it.  Eventually, I get back a itkImageF3 by calling:

itkResampleImageFilterF3F3_Pointer.GetOutput()  (by calling the instance of
the resampling filter)

Then with the itkImageF3 object I read the data out of it.  I do that by
calling:

output.GetPixel(itkindex3_1 )

Where output us the itkImageF3 I get back from the resampling filter.  I can
do this consistantly with no problems unless I allocate a large array to
read into before I read the data from the itkImageF3.  If I allocate a large
array anytime before I read the itkImageF3 I get the
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.  With the large array allocated ITK will step on
my memory.  It's also random  when it blows up, sometimes  reading 6 or 600
pixel values out of  the itkImageF3.

I also get the exceptions if I create the itkImageF3 object and write image
data to it, then read it out right after.

I have been able to successfully read all the pixel values out of the
registered itkImageF3 and display them to verify that the image was
registering.  I did this with a small class that I developed the
registration code with.  Once I moved it to the real application I get the
exceptions.

I'm in desperate need of help with this.  I need to get cross platform
registration working in my application and this appears to be the way to do
it.  Please let me know if you can help me on this issue.

Here is the exception I'm getting:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0b671da3, pid=8748,
tid=9484
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_04-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ITKCommonAJava.dll+0x241da3]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid8748.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Platform: WIndows XP SP2