[Insight-users] Existence of an ITK .net-assembly

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Jan 16 16:15:50 EST 2007

Le Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:20:14 +0100, Dan Mueller <d.mueller at qut.edu.au> a
écrit:

> Hi Hendrik,
>
> There are (or potentially will be) a number of options for using ITK
> with CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) aka. dot net, aka C#, aka.
> managed C++:
>
> 1. At the moment, you can use use ITK with C++/CLI (an "extension" to
> the C++ standard produced by Microsoft). This option is only available
> for those machines running the CLR (eg. Windows). See the following
> insight-users email for more details:
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2006-October/019652.html.
>
> 2. There is talk of moving WrapITK from CableSWIG to pure SWIG (SWIG as
> of version 1.3.18 supports C#). Currently WrapITK only supports Tcl,
> Java and Python, so obviously support for C# will also need to be added.
> I'm not sure if or when the move to pure SWIG will happen (Gaetan?), but
> if it does happen and the C# wrappers are added to WrapITK, I /suspect/
> (this is just hunch, requiring further investigation) that the wrappers
> will execute on both CLR and Mono machines (ie. Windows, Linux, Solaris,
> Mac OS X, Unix). The same be achieved if CableSWIG was updated to a
> newer version of SWIG, again I'm not sure if this will or has already
> happened...?

WrapITK for pure swig is on the way, and is mostly usable for python
already.
I'm making the changes needed to make the addition of new languages
easier, so C# may be added in the future.

That being said, I'm working on it on my free time only, so things are not
moving as fast as what I want - still the same problem: the days are too
short !

http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=WrapITK-unstable;a=summary

> 3. There is talk that IronPython v1.1 (a Python implementation for the
> CLI:
> http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseName=1.1%20Alpha)
> will support the import of pre-compiled Python modules (ie. it could
> import the existing WrapITK Python wrappers). I'm not sure if this will
> happen or work, but something to keep your eye on maybe.
>
> 4. Off and on for a while now, before some of the above options where
> available/conceivable, I started creating some wrappers around common
> ITK objects using C++/CLI (note: these run on Windows only due to the
> dependency on the vcredist assemblies). I have used these wrappers in
> both C# and IronPython applications. If others are interested, I could
> probably make them available via the Insight Journal.
>
> HTH
>
> Cheers
>
> Dan
>

> Hendrik Belitz wrote:
>> Hi my fellow insightful people,
>>
>> since there's a lot of .net/Mono development going on around me lately
>> and I didn't find anything about that topic in the kitware wiki, I'll
>> ask my question here.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any kind of inofficial or third-party
>> .net-assembly encapsulating at least a subset of the ITK classes?
>>
>> Regards
>>  Hendrik

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr