[Insight-users] Circle detection in itk

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:40:54 EST 2007

Hi,

If those pictures are examples of what you are expecting then you can
probably proceed as follows:

1) Simple threshold - use a manually selected threshold -
itkBinaryThresholdImageFilter

2) Label the results so that each blob has a different number -
itkConnectedComponentImageFilter. (Note that the default itk version
doesn't produce consecutive labels - I've put a version on the insight
journal that does)

3) Here's where things get a little speculative. If the blobs are as
small as you say then you are almost certainly going to need to do
some model fitting to each labelled region to get what you want, and
you may need to write some special code to do it. The
itkLabelStatisticsImageFilter might be a good model on which to start.

At the end of the labelling stage you can collect a set of pixel
locations and values for each blob - fit the model you are interested
to these values. There are probably some useful support routines in
itk that will help with the model fitting - I'm not so familiar with
this side of things, but perhaps Luis can provide advice.

If the thresholding step is unreliable then you could do a peak
detection step instead - look at my paper on regional extrema on the
insight journal.