[Insight-users] Re: Marker controlled watershed, how to realize in ITK

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Sat Oct 7 09:01:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

Funny to see a reply to a mail old of 2 years :-)

I just want to give some precisions:

The morphological reconstruction is in ITK already. It's the Robinson's
algorithm I have adapted to work with any type of pixel, not only 8 bits.
It sadely cause some efficiency problem compared to the original
algorithm. The version implemented by Richard is a lot more efficient both
in memory and execution time :-)

Also note that Richard and I have made some effort since this time, to
improve the mathematical morphology in ITK. The marker controlled
watershed discussed in this mail for example, can now be found in the
insight journal, with some others:

- consolidated morpholgy
(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D6%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=124)
- Improving features and performance of binary erode and dilate filters
(Improving features and performance of binary erode and dilate filters)
- The watershed transform in ITK - discussion and new developments
(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D4%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=92)
- Improving performance of morphological reconstruction
(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D4%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=76)
- MinimaImpositionImageFilter
(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D3%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=63)
- Finding regional extrema - methods and performance
(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D3%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=65)
- Binary morphological closing and opening image
filters(http://insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/view_reviews.php?back=publications.php%3Fjournalid%3D3%26order%3Drating%26revision_display%3Dcombined&pubid=58)

All those article are waiting to have 3 reviews to be moved to the toolkit
- please add a review to some of them !

Regards,

Gaetan

--