[Insight-users] Re: itkmattesMutualInformationImagetoImageMetric

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Wed May 31 10:53:39 EDT 2006

Grace,

Yes, As Kajetan mentioned, the Mattes metric needs to be minimized. This
may sound counterintuitive since Mutual information defined as :

I(X,Y) = H(X) + H(Y) - H(X,Y)  has got to be positive,

Yet the mattes yeilds values that are negative. Read the last line of
the GetValue() method in
itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.txx. It reads :
     return static_cast<MeasureType>( -1.0 * sum );
In other words the classical MI value is negated.

The other mutual information metrics though, need to be maximized. For
instance, if you use itk::MutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric,
you will have to maximize it.

HTH
-karthik