[Insight-users] ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 14 17:56:09 EDT 2005

> Please read the ITK Software Guide
>
>    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
>
> in particular section 9.3.7, in pdf-page 587 where you
> will find explained in detail how to use the class:
>
>         itk::ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator

Actually, the documentation is not particularly detailed on how to
use the ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator class -- to my mind, this has
been a fairly long-standing bugaboo in the software guide. It merely
states that the ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator class can be used to
generate a shape model. The example then proceeds to read in a pre-
computed model from the command line and nowhere illustrates how to
compute such a model.

Nor is the doxygen particularly informative as to the precise nature
of the inputs to and outputs from the shape model estimator. I'd be
happy to write a paragraph for the guide, and/or fix the doxygen if
anyone wants. (I also think that the computation of the shape model
may be sped up significantly in some cases by use of the SVD instead
of an eigen-decomposition. I'm exploring this possibility too...)

For reference, you need to pass the ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator a set
of signed distance function images. So if you have a set of black-and-
white "mask" images representing a population of shapes, you need to
convert those to signed distance maps with either the
ApproximateSignedDistanceMapImageFilter class or the
SignedDanielssonDistanceMapImageFilter class. Then feed these signed
distance maps as the inputs to the ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator class.

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine