[Insight-users] Please help with access violation error!!! (partly solved)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Mar 6 10:32:07 EST 2005

Hi Nicolaus,

1) If you compile your application *AND* all the
    shared libraries on Debug mode, you should be
    able to run the application in Debug mode from
    the VisualStudio environment and identify the
    exact place where the exception is thrown.

    Make sure that in Visual Studio you enable the
    option of "break on exceptions".

    In VisualStudio 7.1 This is done by

     1) Going to the "Debug" menu in the top menu bar

     2) Selecting "Exceptions..." ( a new window will pop up)

     3) In the frame "When the exception is thrown" select
        "Break into the debugger"

     4) In the frame "If the exception is not handled" select
        "Break into the debugger"

     Note that this selections can be set Exception-type by
     Exception-type. You can target the specific exception
     that you are getting:

                "OxC000005: Access violation"

     You will find it in the group:

                   "Win32 Exceptions"

      in my installation it is the fourth on that list.

      If you click on that exception in the Debug/Exceptions
      window, you can select explicitly to "Break into the
      debugger" when the exception is thrown.

2) You may want to try using a catch-all try/catch
    block. This is done using the symbol "..." in
    the catch statement, like

      try
       {
       writer->Update();
       }
      catch( std::exception & excp )
       {
       std::cerr << "C++ generic exception catched" << std::endl;
       std::cerr << "It says : " << excp.what() << std::endl;
       }
      catch( ... )
       {
       std::cerr << "Error message here" << std::endl;
       }

But...
for the particular problem that you are facing,
option (1) is probably a better path to follow.

Please let us know what you find.

    Thanks,

      Luis