[Insight-users] A Few Questions and Problems

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 5 15:17:38 EST 2005

Hi Amitesh

1) The recommended limit for a stable time step to be used with the
    anisotropic diffusion filters is presented in the Doxygen
    documentation of these filters.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AnisotropicDiffusionFunction.html

> Typical
> values are less than 0.250. A stable value for most 2 and 3d
> functions is 0.125. In general, you should keep the time step below
> 1/2^N, where N is the number of image dimensions. A filter will
> automatically attempt to constrain its time step to a stable value
> and generate a run-time warning if the time step is set too high.

2) I assume that you mean what are the values needed in the Sigmoid
    filter when you use it as a pre-processor for the speed image
    to be used in LevelSets.

    If so, you will find a detailed explanation on this topic in the
    ITK Software Guide

            http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    Section 9.3.1, pdf-page 369.

3) Removal of the blue gel from the cryogenic data of the
    Visible Woman dataset is fairly straightforward.

    Just use the source code available in:

       InsightDocuments/
                SoftwareGuide/
                           Cover/
                              Source/
                                  VWBlueRemoval.cxx

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/SoftwareGuide/Cover/Source/VWBlueRemoval.cxx?rev=1.1&root=InsightDocuments&view=log

4) Lino Ramirez kindly contributed to ITK last week his
    implementatino of Closing and Opening:

    http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2004-December/011591.html

    we will commit those new filters to the CVS repository
    very soon.