[Insight-users] streaming to file

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Mon Feb 21 09:37:07 EST 2005

While looking through itkMetaImageIO.cxx, I don't see anything to do
with the actual writing of the image data.  I know I'm missing a lot
though. I assume that the meta data and the data are written separately,
and that if I can cause the raw image writer to stream data the meta
writer will get the benefits.

Streaming IO was obviously considered given the presence of the stubs
CanStreamRead() and CanStreamWrite() in itkImageIOBase.h.  If there is a
plan as to how these should be written I'd like to follow it and it
might help me out.  Otherwise I might just grab some of the functions
from the StreamingImageFilter and pull small regions through the
pipeline right from the reader.

I have not put any time into looking at the reader yet, but clearly
that'd be required for images that are larger than the available RAM.
There might already be a way to read only a small region I don't know.