[Insight-users] Translation-then-Rotation transform?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:19:20 EST 2005

Hello, (and sorry to be so constantly emailing the list lately!)

I'd like to use a spatial transform that translates a point to a new
space and then performs a rotation in that new space about the origin.
Basically, I've got a moving image that I want to translate around a
fixed image with the optimization framework, and rotate about its
center. I'm not using the registration framework here; in reality I'm
querying trying to find an optimal parameter fit of a PCA shape model
to an image. So the "moving image" is really a PCA shape model.

Using the CenteredRigid2DTransform is a bit painful because it allows
the optimizer to change the translation and center of rotation
independently, whereas I have prior knowledge that the center of
rotation should *always* be about the origin in the new space.

Now, I could make a different version of the Rigid2DTransforma and
Euler2DTransform classes that would have this behavior (currently, they
rotate-then-translate). Is there an easier method, though? Or would I
really be better off for some reason using the
CenteredRigid2DTransform?

(I've read the chapter about centered transforms in the software guide,
but I don't see why optimizing over a 5-dimensional parameter space is
any better for me in this case than over the more natural 3-dimensional
<translate_x, translate_y, rotate> space.)

Thanks,

Zach