[Insight-users] Detection of Composite edge

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:19:59 -0500

I believe "composite edges" refer to the case where there are multiple
edges in near proximity.  Standard edge detection theory is based
on an assumption that each edge is a step edge in isolation.  In
practice, images have edges in close proximity and the point spread
function of the acquisition process causes one edge to bias another.

Composite edge detection acknowledges that multiple edges can be
in close proximity.  The question is posed as what is the likelihood
that there are k edges in this region.  I saw a paper on composite
edge detection in CVGIP: Image Understanding several years ago.  I
used to have that issue sitting next to my computer here but it looks
like someone walked off with it.

In any event, if this is what Mohamed Lemine is looking for, then
ITK does not have such a filter.

Jim