[Insight-users] Re: Watershed success

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:59:02 -0400

Hi Robert,

There are two Watershed plugins in VolView,
both of them under the group:

       "Segmentation Level Set"

The first plugin to try is the

     Watershed RGB Module (ITK)

This module only has the Watershed filter
followed by the color encoding filter.
It is up to you to prepare the input image,
typically by running a gradient magnitude
filter on it. With this filter you may want
to start exploring the image at water levels
around 0.2, and then increase the water level
if you get too many small regions, or decrease
the water level if you get regions that are
too large.

Once you feel comfortable with this plugin,
you can use the

     Watershed Module (ITK)

which has a pre-processing and post-processing
steps.  In preprocessing it computes the gradient
magnitude of the input image for you. Then runs
the Watershed filter on it and finally use the
seed point that you provided in order to extract
the specific watershed where the seed point is
located.  The output of this module is a binary
mask representing only the basin associated to
the seed point. (Note that the seed point is not
directly used by the watershed filter, but by
the post-processing of its output.

----

Please let us know if you still find any
difficulties running these plugins.