[Insight-users] some querry about dicom image

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu . Malaterre at creatis . insa-lyon . fr
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:46:46 +0200

Miller, James V (Research) wrote:
> Soumen,
>
> 1. I'm not sure the DICOM headers have to be same size.

The DICOM header is different from one image to the other. At least it
include a serie number like this:

128.43564.12365.65.46.*

Where * is 1 to your number of images, thus if you have at least 10
images, you're stuck (your 10th image header will be one char bigger).

> I believe the bulk pixel data is always at the end of the file (unless you
> are trying to pull out pixel data from a private tag).  So once you know
> the size of an image, you can always skip to the start of the pixel
> data by offseting the file pointer from the end of the file.

Humm your are a lucky guy ;)

Often we have a 'footer' at the end of the image. And furthermore most
of our images are compressed (jpeg, jpeg lossless, rle, jpeg2000).

Soumen, you should really have a look at solutions like:

http://www . vtk . org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDICOMImageReader . html
http://www . vtk . org/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq03 . 006 . htp
http://vtk . org/pipermail/vtkusers/2003-March/016679 . html
http://www . itk . org/cgi-bin/InsightFAQ/InsightFAQ?req=show&file=faq01 . 009 . htp