[Insight-users] Crash in ShapeDetectionLevelSetImageFilter

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:14:06 -0400

Hi Nils,

You are right in your interpretation of the
behavior for the ShapeDetectionLevelSetFilter.

Increasing the curvature scaling while decreasing
the propagation scaling should make the contour
collapse (contract).

I just verified this behavior using a syntethic
image of a sphere.

Note that in version 1.2 this filter is expecting
the input level set to conform to the convention
of "negative inside" which means that the level
set has negative values 'inside' the contour and
positive values outside the contour.

You may have to push the curvature scaling to
a value higher than 1.0. (e.g. 5.0 or so).

I would avoid to use 0.0 for the propagation
scaling ( in part just for superstition  against
zeros values as parameters). You may want to
try something like 0.1 for the propagation
scaling.

Please verify the convention used by your initial
level set. That may be the cause for the contour
not behaving as expected.