[Insight-users] Execute ITK

Mark Foskey mark_foskey at unc . edu
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:42:21 -0400

ITK is a software library, not a computer program.  You use it to write
your own programs to do image analysis.  However, there are example
programs that use the library.  Those are the programs that you were
trying to run when you got the kind of error messages you mention
below.  Typically these programs must be run from the command line (in
your case, a DOS prompt), and arguments must be passed.  For instance,
you may need to specify the input and output files on the command line.
  You can learn how to run these programs, and more about ITK, from the
Software Guide, available at

    http://www . itk . org/itkSoftwareGuide . pdf

There are also more useful programs in the InsightApplications
checkout, which you can download from the same location as the Insight
Toolkit itself.  These programs were meant to be genuinely useful
applications, rather than simply example programs.  However, they often
also require you to install additional libraries such as FLTK or VTK.
These libraries provide tools for visualization and for creating the
graphical user interface.