[Insight-users] Streaming support in ITK

Thu, 30 May 2002 19:11:22 -0400

Hi Jarek,

ITK was designed for support streaming from the start.

Not all ImageFilters support streaming due to algorithmic constraints
for example an FFT cannot be easily done by dividing the input image
into pieces, processing the pieces and putting the pieces together
at the output.

All the ITK pixel-wise methods are streamed and a large fraction
of the level set methods are too.

Registration is not streamed because of algorithmic constrains

ImageIO is not streamed yet but we are working on it.

You may find interesting the Doxygen group on Streaming:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__StreamingGroup.html

Streaming is the reason why all the Filters in ITK apply their
operation on the "RequestedRegion", this requested region is
the minimal piece of an image that gets passed through the
pipeline.

Jim Miller created a nice presentation of the Streaming
Concepts in ITK, you can follow it on:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/StreamingPage.html

Please let us know if you encounter any problems,