[Insight-users] Landmark Fitting

Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:30:37 -0400

Hi Xenios,

ITK offers a good set of point-based transformations.

Please take a look at the following classes:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateSplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateR2LogRSplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodyReciprocalSplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodySplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VolumeSplineKernelTransform.html

All of them require the user to provide two set of landmarks (points).

On set of landmarks is associated with the source space
and the other set is associated with the target space.

 From both sets, a SplineKernel interpolation is perfomed.

The classes above differ in the type of kernel used for the
interpolation.

This classes are based on the paper:

"A Physics-Based Coordinate Transformation for 3-D Image Matching"
by Davis, Khotanzad, Flaming and Harms,
IEEE-TMI, Vol. 16 No.3 June 1997

You may also want to take a look at the following
example which visualize the effect of the interpolation:

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/ThinPlateSplines.htm

The code can be found at:

Insight/Examples/ThinPlateSpline

If you have additional methods for landmark-based transform
and you are willing to contribute them to ITK we will be glad
to help you do so.

Please let us know if you would like to know any additional
details.