[Insight-users] Region Growing Segmentation Example

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 16:40:24 -0400

Hi Zein,

A new example on 3D Region Growing Segmentation
was just added to the toolkit.

You can find it under:
Insight/Examples/RegionGrowingSegmentation

A description is available at:
http://www.itk.org/HTML/RegionGrowingSegmentation.htm

It requires FLTK and VTK to be installed.

The program reads MetaImage files.
e.g. the ones adapted from the BrainWeb project:
ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/BrainWeb/

Smoothing is applied first to the input image using the
CurvatureFlowImage filter (with some parameters that
you can modify interactively). This filter preserves
boundaries while smoothing the homogeneous regions of
the image. (This filter takes about 50 seconds to run
on the 3D images from the BrainWeb project... so please
be patient).

You can display the resulting image on slice by slice
basis and click on it for selecting a seed point.
The coordinates of the seed point will be updated in
the GUI as soon as you click on a pixel.

The image is then  passed to three independent filters
(so you can compare the results):

1) ConnectedThreshold: where you can setup lower
    and upper thresholds. This filter will mark all
    the pixels connected with your seed and being
    inside the range of the two thresholds.

2) ConfidenceThreshold: which uses statistical parameters
    of the seed point to search for connected points.
    It also has a couple of parameters to change interactively.

3)  SimpleFuzzyConnectedness: which computes the best
     affinity path between pixels

The basic connections between the filters are done
in the file    RegionGrowingSegmentationBase.cxx.

The GUI connections (including the fltk ImageViewers)
are done in   RegionGrowingSegmentation.cxx

Please let us know if you have any questions about
this example