[Insight-developers] new shrink filter with average value

Carsten Kendziorra carsten.kendziorra at charite.de
Wed Jul 10 06:07:42 EDT 2013

Hello Brad,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay!

Now I've tested your code and the itkBinShrinkImageFilter (not
itkBinShrinkImageFilter2) seems to be 2 times faster than mine. And the
results are the same.
So I think I will switch to your filter.

Do you have an idea how much the impact of the
itk::ImageScanlineIterator is, compared to the old iterators?

And are there plans to implement your filter in ITK? Would be good,
since we're probably not the only one who needs this type of filter.

Thanks again!
Carsten

On 06/20/2013 11:31 AM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for sharing your work.
>
> The standard way to contribute a new class to ITK it to write an Insight Journal[1] article which describes the algorithm.
>
> Generally these can be started locally as an External module in ITK[2], which can include testing and other needed cmake configuration information. Your code appear to have external dependencies that are not in ITK, and not up to ITK style guidelines[3].
>
> Also, I have also implement a very similar algorithm[2]. I have have extensively tested it to ensure that the physical location of the pixels is maintained and that it's is computationally efficient. I have upgraded to the latest iterators only available in ITK 4.4. Please give the filter a try and let me know how it works for you.
>
> Brad
>
> [1] http://www.insight-journal.org
> [2] http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Release_4/New_Code_Contribution_Process#External_Modules
> [3] http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Coding_Style_Guide
> [4] https://github.com/blowekamp/itkBinShrink
>

> On Jun 20, 2013, at 4:23 AM, Carsten Kendziorra <carsten.kendziorra at charite.de> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, forgot the files.
>>
>> Here they are!
>>
>> On 06/20/2013 09:20 AM, Carsten Kendziorra wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we've produced a shrink filter, that calculates the output pixel value
>>> as the average of all corresponding input pixels.
>>>
>>> This is basically a copy of the itkShrinkImageFilter (ITK 4.2.0), with
>>> modifications in the ThreadedGenerateData() method, where the output
>>> pixel values are calculated.
>>>
>>> Author: Carsten Kendziorra, Henning Meyer, Marc Dewey. Charite Berlin,
>>> Germany.
>>>
>>> Maybe you want to include it in ITK.