[Insight-developers] ITK git branches

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Dec 13 15:05:20 EST 2011

On 12/13/2011 2:25 PM, Matt McCormick wrote:
> As we approach ITKv4, we should consider how to organize git branches.
>   Currently, we have
>
>    dashboard - CTest/CDash dashboard scripts
>    hooks - Git Hooks
>    master - where most development occurs
>    nightly-master - follows the CDash nightly builds (?)
>    release - currently a stage for bug fixes for ITKv3
>
> I assume we like to advance 'release' to ITKv4 after the 4.0.0 release.
> We should probably retain a branch for ITKv3 bugfixes.  Would 'v3release'
> be a good name?

It's not necessary to keep an explicitly named branch ref for the v3 release.
Anyone can start the branch locally from a v3 tag or by naming a commit hash.
Whenever we collect new v3 fixes we can add a tag like v3.20.x for the next x.

The above is why you don't see ITK-2-0, ITK-2-2, etc. branches in the repository.
OTOH if we want to keep a named branch around to make things easier and then just
drop it when v3 is totally unmaintained there is no problem with that.  In that
case I suggest the name "release-3.20" or "maint-3.20" to indicate the release
series it manages (since new release would come with v3.20.x tags).

-Brad